Struggling with essays can be a very demoralizing experience. Especially, if you have not honed your writing skills or lack an idea of what is to be done. Agreeably, success in college and university heavily depends on your writing prowess. This blog post will introduce you to some of the top essay writing tips for college students.
We do this to help you succeed in your college and university classes. Remember, the views expressed herein stand the test of expert advice. So, grab a sit, take off your laptop and the charger if you may, and let’s get writing and getting good grades with the top essay writing tips for college students.
We Advise you on the Best Tips for Essay Writing
College or the university is comparatively different from high school. Remember, college life entails the professors and tutors assigning homework, assignments, and tests. Majorly, the assignments require a special type of formatting, approach, and tone.
Unlike in high school where the assignments and homework seemed endless bothersome pieces of work, in college, they count towards your grading. In fact, the assignments in college revolve around writing essays and academic papers. In this respect, you need to get acquainted with top essay writing tips for college students.
We can all agree that writing the papers could replace some classes, cover for some coursework, and replace the finals.
You will meet reflection papers/ essays, reaction papers, discussion posts, term papers, research papers, admission essays, personal statements, article critique, article appraisal, book reports, concept papers, reports…the list is endless.
Let’s get started on some of top essay writing tips for college students, to get you an awesome grade on your next bunch of papers. Stay put!
Top Essay Writing Tips
I would, from experience, divide the writing process into four stages each with its procedures or protocols per se. The phases include preparation, writing the draft, Editing Stage, and the Final stage. Let’s dig in!
The first few minutes to hours should be dedicated to planning the essay and outlining some of the concepts. For that reason, I call this stage the brainstorming stage because as soon as you read the assignment instructions and rubric, you think of the concepts and how to present them in your paper.
Prior planning and outlining helps you shed off the weight of the paper and remove any doubts as well as confusions when in the later stages of writing. Writing halfway and having to delete tons of words can be a daunting and demoralizing process.
Furthermore, clueless staring at a blank word document for hours can veer you off the essay and deny you the excellent grades.
Internalize these and do as Listed
Well, here are some of the steps to help.
- Never begin writing your essay just a few hours or even the night before. Instead, make it a process to avoid the rush and stress of beating an approaching deadline, it has cost many of their dear grades
- Always have the assignment prompt or the instructions with you every time you are working on the essay up to the last stage.
- Refer to the prompt when coming up with new ideas or concepts and always ask yourself if you’ve covered all the parts as planned. At this point, it is always wise to evaluate the information provided Vis a Vis the assignment prompt to weed out the junk.
- Outline the major points of your essay for the introduction, body, and conclusion.Never begin writing your essay just a few hours or even the night before. Instead, make it a process to avoid the rush and stress of beating an approaching deadline, it has cost many of their dear grades.
- Keep away from all the distractions that can hinder progress on your essay. It is at this moment that you and Netflix become oil and water not forgetting your phone (the memes, twitter, Facebook, and Instagram).
- Feel free to seek the help of the writing lab on campus or your online trusted custom writing service. However, be sure that you are aware of the nitty gritty of the paper at hand.
- Make sure you are on par with the instructions provided the essay/assignment prompt. Any doubt should be addressed by seeking the assistance of the instructors or professors through email or in person. Even when contacting your online assignment Help Company and writer, be sure that they understand the essay. That way, you are saved the burden of worrying if the essay will turn out great. Free advice, should you choose to use an essay help company, place an order early so as to allow room for the writer to complete the work and for you to internalize and own the paper. It is a chance for you to tweak the paper to your standards.
The First Draft
Your first draft of the essay really determines the trajectory of the final copy of the essay. This is the part that most people get discouraged and distracted. But, you have no reason to worry. Here are top essay writing tips for college students that can guide your draft.
- Always get straight to the point in your introduction. It’s important to have a clear intro that is devoid of fluff, which can distract the intended audience.
- The introduction should also have a thesis statement, which can come in between or at the end of the first paragraph. The thesis statement is a signal to the writer on the gist of the essay.
- Have consistency in your citation. Remember, failure to acknowledge the authors of the work you refer to when writing an essay amounts to plagiarism. If it is Chicago, MLA, APA, or HarhHarvard, stick to it from the beginning to the end.
- Any quotes used in your work should be accompanied by the exact citation.
- I recommend the use of online tools such as citethisforme or Google Scholar that allows you to save the bibliography and generate in-text citations. The former saves up to 20 references and you can cite any material and copy and paste in your reference list section when you are done.
- Creatively and keenly develop the paragraphs of the body. Ensure that you use transitions and punctuation marks to develop the flow of ideas. Remember, when writing the paragraphs always point back to the thesis and support the arguments with facts from other sources, it makes an essay glow.
- Conclude the draft by reviewing the whole essay and snipping out the major points. I would advise that you use the right transitions that signal conclusion such as in sum, in summary, in conclusion, to wind up…the list goes on and on.
The Editing Stage
Many students overlook the need for editing their essays. Nevertheless, it is the most fundamental thing one would opt to do to achieve the best grades. Grammar and spelling errors are easy to pass when one is writing. Even the ones that write carefully always need to edit their work. It does not matter the type of work but from where I sit and experience wise, editing and proofreading is not negotiable. The top essay writing tips for college students continues here:
- Have an external person read your essay. The person would help you see if the topic makes sense at all given the instructions and if the content befits the topic. Is there any ambiguity? This is the stage you answer the question.
- Read the essay to yourself and judge if it really makes sense. It is easy to weed out the nasty grammar mistakes when you read it to yourself.
- You could also use online editing tools such as Grammarly or Hemingway Editor. Grammarly is a free application, with some subscription fee for better plans, which underlines the grammar, spelling, and contextual errors in your piece of literature.
- Have a varying sentence structure. Always have short sentences that make sense. Long ambiguous sentences end up being wordy.
- Use citethisforme.com or Easybib.com to access your reference list and in-text citations. Export the reference list and copy to your reference section. The beauty of these online citation tools is that they arrange the reference list in alphabetical order and indent correctly as should be. Did you know that even with the best essay, devoid of grammar and spelling mistakes, poorly arranged and formatted reference list could cost you a grade? Now you know.
At this stage, you deal with the legwork of writing the essay. Finalizing that essay allows you to reevaluate the essay and outline. In this, you can evaluate the relevant ideas or content that is missing.
Better yet, this is the stage that distinguishes an A+ essay from an E essay.
Getting an A++ is guaranteed using the above approach.
Essay Writing Tips for the Best Grades
There are a few things, guided by the essay writing guide for college students, which you might need to do at this stage:
- Add the cover page to your essay (Again use the correct format-each style has its cover page format-refer from Purdue Owl University. You can also ask the professor what their preference is and include the same. But most of the assignment instructions always have the format, so it is also good to cross-check with the rubric and the assignment prompt.
- Double check the citations and the page numbers, indentation, and format.
- Add a title to your essay.
- Submit your essay in the format (Word or PDF) preferred by the instructor or professor.
- Get the great grade you deserve and celebrate for that.
You need to periodically reward yourself for getting the best grades from now on. Undeniably, with the top essay writing tips for college students, the myth hard essay writing process is already behind. Diligence and practice will make you the best writer even in realms other than academic. Fair on well my expert writer.